Fish must swim – best in Gin
Salmon – the fish that almost everyone likes, even those who can’t really do anything with fish. Of course, there are many variations of this wonderful fish. The classic cream sauce with salmon has probably already been forgotten by us all. Therefore, it is high time to try out the tried and tested recipe. And what better way than with a delicious drop of gin!
First of all, the question arises: Which gin do we use? One is particularly suitable, you can tell by its name: The Gin Mare is perfect for salmon. „Mare“ comes from Italian and means „sea“. The gin captivates with a note of rosemary, basil, thyme and olives. Perfect for our salmon dish, which is supplemented with risotto-like rice.
Engine for our salmon with Riso Venere for 4 people:
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 bottle Gin Mare
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 300g black rice (Riso Venere)
- 2-3 lemons
- 400 ml cream
- 1 courgettes
- fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 carrots
- 1 litre water
- Salt and pepper
Preparation of salmon with Gin
- Lets the fish into a deep shape. Per filet you need now 3 tbsp gin. Rub off the peel of a lemon and give the zest to the fish and the gin. Garlic cloves to taste and fresh rosemary twigs complete the marinade. The salmon should now be marinated for at least one night in the refrigerator.
- The black rice is very similar to the preparation of a risotto. It comes from Italy and belongs to the long-grain rice varieties . Unlike risotto, however, we do not use vegetable broth here, but a specially created water. Boil a litre of water and add two peeled carrots and a clove of garlic. We need this unique taste for our black rice. Dice an onion very finely and stew it in a dash of olive oil. Those who love garlic can also add a fresh clove. Now follows the rice, which is roasted briefly. With a little vegetable water the whole is extinguished. Now the rice boils for a good 20 minutes and is mixed again and again with another dash of water while stirring constantly. When the rice is almost done, grate a zucchini and put it in the pot.
- For the sauce our beloved Gin is used again. 100 ml are heated together with 2 tablespoons butter in a pan until the butter has completely dissolved. Add a pinch of saffron and extinguish everything with the cream. 400 ml cream, that sounds relatively full-bodied. Of course you can also use the low-fat variant of a cream here or work with only 200 ml if the second half is replaced with milk. Flavour the sauce with salt and pepper and let it simmer at a very low temperature until the rest of the food is ready to serve. Finish with a dash of fresh lemon juice.
- The salmon goes on. Actually it’s ready as soon as you take it out of the fridge. Of course raw salmon is not everyone’s cup of tea. If you like, you can fry the fish in the pan from both sides. Depending on the thickness of the fillets, the salmon needs between 5 and 15 minutes. If you have guests you don’t know how the fish is eaten, just try all three variations. Once raw, once very briefly fried and once through. All options will taste good in any case.
- Now the rice is finalized. For the creamy taste we stir in 2 tablespoons butter and a small dash of lemon juice. If you like, add a little fresh parsley. To arrange the dish nicely, you need a kind of serving ring. Add the rice and make a nice portion. If the ring is big enough, you can put the gin salmon on top of the rice or serve it next door.
- If you also want to add some vegetables, you are spoilt for choice. Almost anything goes with salmon and rice. You’ve already used a little zucchini in risotto. Cuts a few vegetables of your choice and fry them briefly. You can simply season it with salt and pepper. For the extra kick you can also use a very small shot of gin for frying.
If you want to change the salmon during the second cooking attempt, try chicken breast fillet. Gin is excellent for meat and will also taste great a second time. Whether with salmon or chicken, the gin marinade is the protagonist for your very special dinner. A cool drop of gin in the glass and the choice of drinks is carved!